How to best lighten the touch on a P-22, please ???

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 9 12:02:29 MDT 2007

Hi Gordon.

I use the Hale tool ( I think thats what its called) and pull back on
them in the middle. You really dont need much tension on them at all.
Del wrote some good stuff on upright dampers some years back and that is
worth a read.  Thumb of rule is that they dont need any more tension
then is necessary for them to quiet the strings quickly and sufficiently
enough.  Often you can back them off so as to gain as much as 5 grams
static downweight reduction.... perhaps more in extreme cases.

Jack return springs are a bit tougher to reduce.  But basically you take
an appropriately wide flat faced screwdriver or similar tool, insert at
the closet point to the jack you can get... and press them downwards...
hold them down for a few seconds.  It wins you a bit.  Same thing
applies however.. these springs need be no stronger then is needed to
get the jack back under the knuckle fast enough. If the jack center is
tight then change the center... dont compensate by strengthening the spring.

Dont push the hammer rail in unless that is called for in itself.  And I
would not recommend anymore then standard spec lost motion... which is a
rats hair thin... jack is supposed to engage the knuckle almost
immediatly. Introducing more then absolute minimal lost motion gets you
into lots of other things immediatly and in general the action is not
designed to work that way.

Cheers
RicB

    Thanks for the suggestions, and what, specifically, is the best way
    to weaken these springs ??? ( Yeah, I know, bend 'em. But exactly
    how, where, and how much ?  Especially the jack returns springs ???
    )      I could "weigh off" the keys with lead, too, but unless I
    wanted to do a  full "drill job", the only place I imagine putting
    leads would be screw-on types, on the keys' undersides.     I also
    thought of pushing the hammer rail in, a bit, but that might throw
    something else off. ( And these Yammies are pretty fussy, as we know ! )

    Peace,