Restring and/or Rescale? 30 YO Yamaha C3

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 18:52:40 MDT 2007

Hi
  I echo RIcs sound advice.  I'd be surprised if Yamaha's were  all hat high
a tension. In fact changing the scale only a half wire size  will change the
sonority of tone & you may be un happy with it  .  ASMHIK!!
   In my Experience the string breakage problem is almost  always hammer
related & secondarily a pianist playing to hard beyond it's  intended design
parameters in with flat hard hammers .   A lot of  this going on in many places.
  It will be wasted time, effort & cash to replace the  strings & not the
hammers. Historically pianos are tuned, tuned,  tuned.........& snap is that a
string I hear breaking from lack of hammer  care.  Hmmmmmm
  Dale

I've had several C3's under my care from that period  and really cant say
any of them have developed any kind of a chronic string  breakage
problem.  All of them that have been under heavy use have had  hammer
changes done, a few of them are on there 3rd set of hammers.   Old
strings on a high tension scale will be subject to breakage to be
sure... but new strings along with an appropriate dressing of the capo
should prevent any recurrence all else being equal.

I have had  excellent results with Yamaha grands using Wurzen II felt
from Renner  Germany.  I suppose Ronsens in the states may be
comparable... but I  get the feeling from talk on the list they are a bit
softer. Renner Blues  may also be a good choice.  I also find that using
the Steinway diamond  shape works really quite well indeed, tho I have
been taught both by the  Academy and a couple voicing masters that
Yamahas require a rounder  shape.  My own experience tells me one can get
greater dynamic range  with the diamond shape, tho perhaps one has to opt
for a slightly more  rounded off fff sound.  Personally I like that
especially on Yamahas  because they easily sound crashy and noisy to my
ears when the hammers are  too hard.  The diamond shape seems to allow
for a sound that swells  nicely just after the attack. And if kept just
under the icy/glassy sound at  fff this combines to minimize string
noise, phasing and other such  extraneous noises.

Cheers
RicB

The piano in  question, a Yamaha C3 built in the first half of 1977 has
developed a string breaking problem. It is in a public high school
it has
very light rust spots on some strings, mostly  high treble. I
rebushed keys,
reshaped hammers  and regulated it a year ago, probably the first
regulation
it had had since new. I have consulted with 3  different techs at
Yamaha, all
independently,  all unaware of my having talked with the others. I
got  the
same answer, metal fatigue of the strings due to the high  tension
scale. 2
added that the problem may be  exacerbated between the bench and the
keyboard. Not only do I  agree with the last statement but so does
she, the
vocal director, admits that she has a very heavy touch. However  I
have also
had strings break when I was  tuning, not while I was tuning them but
after I
had moved on and was a couple of strings away, no longer even on  the
unison.
The director has had bass strings  break while playing, 2 last year,
one so
far  this year.

My initial inclination was to look into  rescaling it but after
talking with
a friend  who has more experience with re-scaling than I do, perhaps that
wouldn't be the best avenue. It was his feeling that perhaps the 30YO
hammers may be the culprit. restringing may solve the breaking
problem in
the immediate future because it's new wire  but with the old hammers the
breakage will return before  long.

The piano, as I understand it, was designed primarily  as a smaller stage
piano, a concert instrument if you will. The  school uses it 4 hours
a day
minimum in a  classroom setting, very hard use. As it was put to me
what  they
need with the re-string is a 99% classroom instrument and  a 1% concert
instrument.
I have the great good  fortune of the Superintendent of Schools for this
district  having been a former elementary music teacher and he worked
his  way
through college doing "piece" work for a piano tech. Shop  work, key
bushings, flange bushings, repinning, etc. So he not  only
appreciates a fine
working piano but  knows all of the work and time that goes into
making  it
that way.

I am looking for advice from  one and all. Anyone with any experience
with
this make and model or a similar one would be great but in lieu of
that give
me opinions.
Thanks,

Mike
--
Learn  from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The
important thing