Restring and/or Rescale? 30 YO Yamaha C3/ Dale

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 10 01:45:55 MDT 2007

An excellent observation Dale, and as concisely put as is probably possible.

    Historically pianos are tuned, tuned,  tuned.........& snap is that
    a string I hear breaking from lack of hammer  care.  Hmmmmmm
    Dale

I keep looking for analogies and short statements like the above to
convince administrators of schools of the need to replace instruments
from time to time... or at the least to upgrade them, and I think I've
fallen upon a good one I'd like to throw out at you all.

Get ahold of an old junior high school level microscope from the
60's.... :)   When asked to justify why existing pianos cannot perform
well enough put the old microscope on the table and explain that you are
being essentially asked to take this microscope and make it useable for
college level, even graduate level exams preparation usage. Buying the
necessary parts to even bring the thing up to its maximum performance
level costs more then the thing is worth and still leaves you with an
out of date tool.  If it had been a top of the line microscope from the
60's... well maybe it could be made to perform quite well... but your
average Zimmerman 110 cm 85 key special from 1963 is just plain wont do
it.

(this all relates to college level music schools btw, not Jim and Julie
Standars in the 3rd and 4th grade taking lessons from Aunt Marple on
43rd and main... tho that said..... :) )

Cheers
RicB

A curious quote from Karl Marx that I think was interesting....

Religion is.... "the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart in a
heartless world, and the spirit in a situation devoid of spirit"