Glue for laminated rib construction

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Thu Oct 11 14:34:41 MDT 2007

As did I some 30 years back when I first started laminating ribs. Then I
switched over to a urea formaldehyde adhesive and then to Titebond II and am now
back to my old favorite, a urea formaldehyde.

I did manage to cure the instability problems with Titebond by leaving each
batch in the clamping cauls for a couple of days. It worked but it always made
me feel a bit uncomfortable. So I've gone back to my old standby, #CP-0503 -- a
powdered, pre-catalyzed urea to which you add water. I get it from CP Adhesives,
www.cpadhesives.com, (which used to be Custom Pak Adhesives). It runs $18 for
5-lbs or $70 for 25-lbs. I don't know how this price compares to the others.
(Which all reminds me -- I have to order some more for a large laminated
structure I'm getting ready to glue up.)

CP-0503 has a shelf life of a year or better (as long as you keep it closed up
tight and reasonably cool) and it mixes with water. The company says it will
cure at anything from 70º F on up but I've used it down to about 65º with no
problems. It has minimal gassing. I use it with moderate ventilation with no
problems.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant