Mystery part

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Oct 13 21:49:36 MDT 2007

Dave
  Ok ok... I cranked down the front 2 nose bolts as far as I  could & it
still required the back of the plate coming waaaaaaay  up first to extricate it.
Scary. Nothing broke. Nothing bent. WHew.
    I'm going to remove the piece of stretcher lip that was  hangin over the
front of the plate  & install a long wooden filler  piece with screws once the
plate goes back in. What were they thinking..   Thanks me later?
 Dale

Del, Dale, you guys rock!  As one of my heroes said, I'd rather be  lucky
than smart.  We just yanked the plate out with an engine  hoist.  I hope to be
smarter soon.  But at least I kept the spare  part to ponder later.

Phil Bondi and Terry Farrell have both contributed to my juvenile
delinquency in SW FL.

BTW, I suppose I just need to position the mystery part properly while
lowering the plate and keeping all fingers out of harms way, meanwhile hoping  the
tall nose bolts are not bent.?

I almost hate to ask the question, but is this brace a good idea in the
first place?  At least for someone who is just trying to restore at least  as good
as the original.  Not yet to the point of improving on piano  design
perfection!?!

Dave Smith
SW FL

Dave
  I was going to send a picture but Del beat me to it.  We  took a little
Knabe apart Friday & it had one.....just like this  picture.
         By the way..with the  front lip of the plate buried under the top of
the stretcher 1.2" how'd ya  git er out with those tall nose bolts in front
messing things up. I'll  tell....maybe ....... but you first.
  Dale

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357