[Fwd: The $1,144 "Steinway stick"]

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 13 22:59:29 MDT 2007

Hi Tom

The basic method you describe is how I've been hanging hammers for eons
now.  I use a piece of dilignit pinblock leftover that I cut off to
size. With the laminates facing upwards they form essentially these nice
straight reference lines for the tails.

One little bit that should be pointed out here... depending on how you
do things you can potentially follow a tail and strike line and get your
rake to vary from bass to treble.  Its a good idea to do two end samples
for each section no matter what you otherwise do and make sure you have
exactly the rake angle you want before desciding without further ado to
follow an existing strike line and apparent tail line.

I've thought several times about routing down an 8th of an inch about
half the surface so as to have a ledge to act as a stop for the tails,
but find the laminate layers to be good enough.  I tried the Spurlock
jig on Rogers recommendation. He was kind enough to bring me one for a
convention he attended her some years back.  Never could get used to it
and I didnt like the fact that I could only really sight down one
section at a time.

Cute Bill they sent you :)

Cheers
RicB

   List
   First of all, let me share with you a great way to hang hammers.
(Maybe this has been covered already...)
        There is this tool called a "Hammer Filing Rail" available from
   Steinway.  It costs about $40 (usually) and is just a piece of wood
   the length of a grand action with a little ledge built into the top
   edge.  The hammer tails sit on the ledge and brace the hammers when
   you file them.
        It's also great to use when hanging hammers.  With the rail in
   place, and your guide hammers's tails on the little ledge, you can
   hang the new hammers by lining up their tails on the ledge and
   using  a straight edge to align the front and/or back of the hammer
   felts.  I get really good results using this method.
        I always borrowed my friend's "Steinway stick", as we used to call
   it, whenever I needed to hang hammers, and finally last month, I
   decided to buy my own.  So I called Steinway, ordered one, and put
   it on my credit card.
        The bill came yesterday.  Steinway had billed me $1144 for the
   stick.   When I talked to them, they said they accidentally charged
   me $1,100 for shipping, instead of $11.
        In a way, I'm lucky that the amount of overcharge was so
dramatic.    If they had charged me an extra $50, I might not have
noticed.   It
   was the huge balance on the credit card that prompted me to look to
   see where I had spent that much money.
          Tom Sivak
     Chicago