Felt quality

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 22:27:28 MDT 2007

I think the question is "compared to what?".  A set of hammers with an ideal
pressing from top to bottom, with good quality resilient felt that doesn't
need 50 stitches in each shoulder just isn't that available.  I don't think
there's any inherent tonal quality in a lacquered hammer that can't be
achieved without lacquer.  The problem is that we are often choosing the
best option available.  A light lacquering of a hammer which is somewhat too
soft often produces a better sound than a hammer that's had the life
squeezed and heated out of it and/or that must be needled until our arms
fall off.  Too often those are the two choices available and when that is
presented I would also choose the light lacquering though my preference is
to achieve proper tone without lacquer or anything else-extremes excepted.
However, I would still like to think that a well made hammer, with good
quality felt, reinforced as needed, with well calculated and precise
pressing, should produce clarity, adequate power and a broad range of
dynamics without excessive needling or the use of chemicals.  In order for
that to happen it seems that the felt maker and hammer maker have to be
working in sync and I agree with JD that the art of that seems to be
somewhat lost at present.  At the moment, Ronsen comes the closest to
achieving what I want to hear in his various iterations.  There are many
other hammers that present very nicely (they look good), but the sound just
isn't there, at least not for me.  All I can say is that for most of the
major manufacturers, something is missing.  I wish I could elaborate on
exactly what that is.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com