Harpsichord Tuning

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:48:11 MDT 2007

John Ross wrote:
> *I have been asked to tune a double manual harpsichord to A440, Valloti
> Temperament.*
> *It is in my ETD, so the temperament should be ok.*
> *I have only tuned a single manual, and that was for a friend, 20 years
> ago.*

It's like a single, but more than twice the fun...

> *They are stuck, and can't find anyone else.*
> *What is involved in doing a double manual?*
> *I know in an accordion, the different blocks are tuned slightly off the
> others, by so many cents.*

John, if you can squeeze it, tune it that way... ;-}

Otherwise, tune pure unisons between the 8' of the two manuals and the
4' (which it probably has) at the octave.  When all three are plucked
simultaneously, there should be no beating. (i.e. it's a two string
unison with a built-in octave.)

Ditto what Porritt said.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel