Peeling paint on Samick plate

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 05:15:51 MDT 2007

Hi Geoff -

  I have certainly never seen anything like it, and while it is difficult to determine very much from the photo, I am having a hard time imagining it happen unless:
  1.  There was/is some structural movement (expansion/contraction/cracking) of the plate along the finish "fault line".  We've had expanding action brackets, are we now moving into expanding plates? ;-)
  2.  There was a major contaminant inbedded in the plate along this line, causing the finish to 'float' above it as an unattached film, and finally cracking after enough temperature changes.

  I would certainly seek a possible warranty repair, and absent that, it will be very difficult to make this disappear, although it could certainly be greatly minimized.  What kind of finish do you think it is?

  As always, before any repair ensues, I would try to first ascertain the cause.  If not structural, this would be a good situation to call in a first-rate touch-up artist.

  Mark Potter

Geoff Sykes <thetuner at ivories52.com> wrote:
      Greetings all --

  I was called to work on a Bernhard Steiner piano today. Bernhard Steiner is currently owned by Samick. I think the piano was made in 2001 but the decoding of the serial number doesn't make sense, (KJKJG0141). Wouldn't KJKJ be 1011/1011? Anyway, attached is a photo of the plate showing the left side right under the music desk. Notice that the paint is peeling up in a very large and thick sheet across the curve of the plate. Has anyone else ever seen this? What did you do to correct, or fix, the problem. I'm thinking that if we can't get the store that sold it, (rumored to be out of business), or Samick to cover it under warranty then perhaps some never-fail CA glue. But... I'm open to suggestions.

  -- Geoff Sykes
  -- Los Angeles

Checked by AVG Free Edition.