Verdigris and Goof-Off

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 20 12:08:45 MDT 2007

Once upon a time, I had an action that someone had used WD-40 or some other
lube on it.  It was almost virtually frozen.  I used Protek, methanol, and
whatever solvent was available, but I also blasted the gunk out with a air
gun.  The bushings really came out clean-looking.  I put the tip of the gun
right on the bushings, and I could see some excess come out of the end
grain in the wood flanges.  Just dissolving the stuff is not apparently
enough, but getting it out of there seems to be the trick.  Apparently,
whatever caused the vertigris has to have migrated into the pores of the
wood, ready to come out again.
I don't see vertigris very often, so I couldn't comment on that.  My
customer with the frozen action has never called back to complain, so I
assume my procedure worked.
FWIW,

Paul McCloud
San Diego