Concert Tuning for anyone

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sat Oct 20 22:21:14 MDT 2007

Hi Phil,

If the tuner does not ask for what is ideal then the hall will certainly
not know about it. If they do--well and good. If not, then try to educate
them. I've nearly always been granted enough time to do the work that was
needed--but then I asked for what I believe was appropriate for concert
level work. (definitely not a neglected piano requiring 10 cents pitch
correction)

Concert tuning should be at the same level as recording studio tuning don't
you think?

The BBC in London, for example, has 7 grand pianos that are each tuned 5
times per week.

Perhaps, Phil, you can change a tuning 10 cents and have it at concert
level in one pass. Good for you.

At one four day out door event I was on call from 6 a.m. until the last
show of the evening began their set. I had to tune for the next band while
the previous one was performing, and then there was a brief 15 minute
window where I could clean up the piano as much as possible while the stage
was struck and reset. In those circumstances I did what I could--but I
would never suggest those were "concert tunings". The 2nd year they tried
another "cheaper" tuner. The rest of the years they used me.

At 05:37 PM 10/19/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>Phil wrote:
>>
>> #3 on your second or third pass tune aurally.
>
>2nd or 3rd pass? How much time are you given??
>
>Don - honestly..what you've laid out here is
>best case scenario, and as long as I've had the
>pleasure to do concert work, I have NEVER had
>the opportunity to do 3 passes. I would hate to
>think that any piano 'needing' that many passes
>won't pass the test anyway.
>
>With all due respect,
>
>-Phil Bondi(Fl)
Regards,