Swaying grand

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 20:09:49 MDT 2007

> >   We would replace the legs with legs off a 5.1 grand
> > and it would fix the problem.   Maybe ask the store where it came from,
> > just a thought.
> >
> That's an interesting fix. I wonder what the
> difference is in the legs from one model size to
> another..and I wonder if this holds true for all
> the manufacturers..

Of the four manufacturers for whom I have worked, massive legs were used on
the concert grand and sometimes on the 7', while a large, but not so
massive leg was used on most other grand models.  In some cases a smaller
leg was use on the very smallest grand of the product line.  It makes sense
from a manufacturing point of view, to have as many common parts as
possible among different models.

As has been pointed out on this thread, some manufacturers may have gone
too far in cost cutting at the low end of their line, requiring spindly
legs to support entirely too much weight.  The problem becomes worse when
the case style involves severe curves in the leg which leave very little or
no continuity of grain along the length of the leg.  Typically, where grand
legs are concerned, "one size fits all," with exceptions at either extreme
end of the product line.

I hesitate to use the term, cost cutting, on this list.  No doubt, it will
rankle a few, but minimizing cost is the sole reason for building
ridiculously small grands, to fill that market niche.  As long as there is
a market demand for it, someone will build it.

Frank Emerso