down to the wire

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 05:22:00 MDT 2007

Paul asks:
<<  So we're talking about mechanical effect? Whether the wire is capable of,
in condition to, properly formed in order to carry the energy from the hammer
strike (which is always what I have thought of as what "creates the quality
of the note"? >>

 Greetings,
     I am talking about the musical quality of a note, presence of the
partials, the lack of enharmonic ones, the lack of internal phase
relationships,(what we call falseness), etc.  I made the point that if the wire was so imperfect
as to be audibly inferior,  it was a poor location for false economy, as
without a suitable quality of wire, the rest of the sounding system is wasted.  I
wondered aloud just how much more could it cost to musically refine the one
thing we are all here for?
     We can hit a bell with a lot of different things, making a lot of
different sounds, but the bell is still what we are listening to, not the hammer. If
the bell is cracked, there is nothing we can hit it with that will overcome
that shortcoming.  While the whole strucure "creates the quality of the note" ,
there is one thing that is essential and that is the wire and wire quality
was what I was addressing.  Its musical quality, which I assume depends equally
on both the wires composition and its handling.
      I'm talking about the wire, ( or, as they say in Tennessee, war). It is
the generant, the prime component, the heart of the matter, the only game in
town, the Force, the meowing cat, (and its pajamas), the heat, the motor, the
whatever that sits in the middle of everything else thing.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.aol.com</HTML>