Hazards of CA glues

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 07:12:51 MDT 2007

On 10/25/07, John Delacour <JD at pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:

> At 21:42 -0600 24/10/07, John Dorr wrote:
>
> >Twice now I've heard that inhalation of CA vapors causes an
> >accumulation of toxins ("ISOs" the guy at the paint store calls
> >them)...
>
> I'm no chemist and most paint stores round here don't have a resident
> chemist.  I think your guy is confusing isocyanates with
> cyanoacrylates.  A Google search for either of these terms will lead
> to a wealth of information on the hazards of either.
>
> JD

I had the occasion to CA the tuning pins on a Wurly spinet for an Army
family transferred here from Alaska. I was explaining the procedure and used
the term CA to the wife, then stopped to explain it was Superglue but in a
different form. She looked me in the eye and said yes I know, I'm a chemical
engineer!
The point of this story is she, her 2 daughters and 6 month old baby were in
close proximity when I did the CA treatment and she was unconcerned about
the fumes, except to help me set up my fan to keep my eyes from watering too
badly!
I don't believe we have anything to be concerned about.
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com