Hot Hide Glue Problem

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 13:43:50 MDT 2007

On 10/26/07, paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> wrote:

> Inappropriate in a situation where the joint may need to be taken apart in
> 3 years or in 25 years from now. Bad thinking (lack of thinking, actually)
> on my part in this instance.
>
> On 10/26/07, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > Titebond inappropriate? For what?
> > </snip>
>

> Paul,

Titebond isn't forever, try this experiment for your self, glue a junk
hammer onto a shank  w/Titebond and allow it to cure for 24 hours. Put a
heat gun on it for less than 30 seconds and it will come free, put it under
a brooder lamp, with a 100 watt light bulb in it, with the shade right down
on top of it for a few minutes and again it will come free. Dry heat will
cause Aliphatic resin glues to soften after they have cured, try the same
thing with a hide glued hammer, it will remain tight. In order to
remove/soften hide glue you must have a humid heat or as we call it steam.
Mike

--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com