Appraisal Value

Dave Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Fri Oct 26 16:47:42 MDT 2007

    If it's tall, with a full-blow action, it's not a spinet.  Even if it's
console size, but has a drop action, it's a "drop-action  console."  If the
rear ends of the keys (capstans) extend under the wippens, then it's a
console.
    Yes, a dealer might ask $2K, but through the newspaper, between private
parties, it might be hard to get more than $1200 - $1500 unless the finish
is really like new.  (Looks always seem to matter more than the quality of
the instrument)
    --David Nereson, RPT