Spinet/Console Definition; was: Appraisal Value

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 08:00:00 MDT 2007

On 10/26/07, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> For me, that's a console if it has free standing legs...not that it makes
> a heck of lot of difference...;-]
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "Cliff Lesher" <lesher at dejazzd.com>
> To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: Spinet/Console Definition; was: Appraisal Value
>

> >How about those 36"-tall pianos with keysticks that, just aft of the
> >balance pin, dive about 3 or 4 inches, their capstaned tail ends
> >providing direct blow to the wippens.  Spinsoles?  Consets?
>
> >Oh, and don't forget the 36" Weavers with the key-end, rocker
> >crowbars.   My name for them:  Out-of-control tail spin..ets.
>
> >To their credit, both types afford convenient action removal, making
> >them more consolesque.
>
> >Cliff Lesher
> >Winfield, PA
> >_______________________________________
> >On Oct 26, 2007, at 9:47 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:
>
> >> Drop action=spinet.
> >> Action on keys/free hanging legs=console
> >> action on keys/legs attached to case at bottom=studio such as U1,
> >> UST-7 and such
> >> Big=Upright
> >>
> >> David Ilvedson, RPT
> >> Pacifica, CA  94044

Hi I believe Cliff was referring to what Kimball picturesquely called a
consolette those awful keys that are doweled together for the deep swoop
down under the action.
These days you also have to be on the lookout for the fake studios, Kawai
built some that are about 45-46 inches with the toe block and from outward
appearance look like a studio. When you open them there is this resonator
thing (I guess that's what it's for) above the pinblock that's about 4 or 5
inches tall that gives it the extra height.
I tend to guide my customers away from the continental style pianos, the
ones with no front legs, mostly asian made, they have a shorter key much
like a spinet and if played heavily will need regular key rebushing.
Just like a spinet the bends in the keys are right at the balance rail
putting extra strain on the balance rail bushing and consequently the front
rail bushing as well.
I also make the distinction between compact actions and Schwander type
actions since the consoles with compacts aren't in the same league with the
Schwander type, in my opinion. There are exceptions since Kimball owned
Schwander there are many Kimballs out there with Schwander actions. The only
problem is, it's still a Kimball <g>kind of like putting a set of Renner
hammers on a Lester spinet, it can be done but why would you want to? <grin>

Mike
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is to not stop questioning.-- Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com