MH BB Pinblock

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 08:31:05 MDT 2008

 David writes:

<< pinblock is screwed to the inner rim via a couple of plate screws that
penetrate the block down to the rim) all the way to the stretcher why would
you need to attach the pinblock to the stretcher to create case stability.

I don't think it is a question of case stability, but rather, stiffness in
the plate/block assembly.
    The attachment of the block to the stretcher assists the block in
resisting  movment of the strings in the vertical plane.  These vibrations are quite
small, but I consider them important, and without some vertical component to
the "beam" that resists them, more energy is lost to heat than otherwise would
be.
   It could be that the increased stiffness afforded by attaching the block
to the stretcher would also increase the entrainment of the strings' vibration
to the case.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )</HTML>