Decapping bridges with a router

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Aug 2 11:35:46 MDT 2008

Been thinking along both these lines myself for a year or so.... I have
kind of envisioned a variation on a small high speed high torque
electric planer.  If one wanted to take off 20 mm from bridge cap
evenly, then a simple old fashioned wood workers depth marker could be
used to scratch a line on both sides of the bridge exactly to the
desired height. Building up a suitable support for both sides of the
planer to keep it at the right height would then be perhaps little more
then a minor pain in the patootey.

Problem is always getting someone to manufacture such a variation of
standard machine tools.

Cheers
RicB

         > I was thinking more of removing the old bridge cap especially
        when keeping
         > the original board rather than planing the new one to the
        final height.
         > That way you are just taking it down to a uniform height.
         >
         > David Love

    I understand, but when you have a bridge that's 40mm on the
    low end and 30mm on the treble end, you'll either need a 20mm
    cap (removing an extra 10mm of bridge root), or step it at the
    struts, or chew it down in incremental steps and plane it smooth.
    Ron N