Decapping bridges with a router

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Aug 2 01:41:35 MDT 2008

Dave,
I've done this plenty, the photo shows a couple of sleds I use, sorry
they're not on the router. The router's mounted in a table right now but
it's pretty simple, the screws go through the base and into the sleds, the
distance between the 2 is set to manage around the bridge curves. Shimming
between the base and the feet or sleds is an easy adjustment if needed. As
Ron says below, watching the bridge elevation is critical, but easy. I
simply step it down, stoping to make the depth of cut adjustment. These 1mm
or so little steps are easily taken out with a couple passes of a hand
plane, sander, scraper or what have you. Another thing to consider with the
router is the angle you may need on the cap. By using a 1" plunge bit you
can take small amounts of material in one pass as you sneak up on the final
dimension with the appropriate (read front) foot shimmed up. You'll only
achieve an angle on the cap if you take it all in one pass, the one inch bit
may leave a small edge, but again, very easily trued up later. There's a bit
of fussing and set up, but I think it's a nice way to machine a cap.
Actually, I'm describing taking down the new cap to it final dimension, same
difference though as decapping the old with everything being not quite so
critical. Of course if the bridge is off the board you can just band saw the
old cap off keeping it for a reference. With the bridge off the board I have
also used a slave board to do some of these opps, letting a piece of ply
stand in for the soundboard and using screws through the ply and into the
bridge to secure it.
Fenton