MH BB Pinblock

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Aug 2 11:05:04 MDT 2008

Baldwin grands with vertical hitches, the plate can be pulled
fully strung, as the block is attached only to the plate.
Would you dowel and glue the block to rim and stretcher in
these pianos?
No, I would not, Ron, but I have no experience with vertical hitches.  I
don't think I've ever full fitted a block that wasn't done that way
originally, although I certainly have thought about it on some better pianos
like Knabe. My original question to you was regarding the elimination of
this design feature in a rebuild, although I know that was not David Love's
question. I have seen this done many times on Steinways, the new block not
glued to the stretcher. Big no no, or no no no. I enjoy the woodworking and
could never bring myself to not reglue a full fit block simply because it
would look so cheesy, and cheesy is bad design, and never as strong, and
sounds bad.
Fenton