Doweled and Fully Fit Pinblocks

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 21:57:52 MDT 2008

>This begs the question: why are factory fully fit pinblocks doweled to
>the stretcher?

Lacking the ability of surfacing the block surface to conform to the
curvature of the plate,
I fit the block to the plate flange and final installation is done
with the block screwed
to the plate and the case glue joints allowed to cure with everything
clamped in place.

I'd rather pull the block to the plate than have to draw the plate
down to the block,
in other words, I'd rather stress than block than stress the plate.

Dowels are not necessary with a good glue joint in this application.
--

Regards,

Jon Page