Stretcher

andre oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sun Aug 3 05:55:46 MDT 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 9:07 AM, John Delacour wrote:

> At 05:42 +0200 3/8/08, andre oorebeek wrote:
>
>> Now I understand it.
>> "stretcher" is actually a strange name.
>> In my country it has a ridiculous name and nobody understands it.
>> the Netherlands
>
> You don't want to take too seriously the names people invent on the
> hoof on this list!  In England we call it the front rail, and in
> Schimmel's Pianonomenclatur we get:
>
> Deutch: Vorstecker

another 'strange' one.

If I look in the dictionary, it tells me that "stecker(die ~) als in
`Steckdose` " is :
socket (the ~), power-point (the ~), wall socket (the ~), plug-socket
(the ~), wall plug (the ~), electric point (the ~)

> England: Lock-rail
> USA: front bar or rail

These I find better suitable.

> not that I find Schimmel always reliable.  Herbert Shead (English)
> calls it the Front Rail or Lock Front.
>
> The Lock Rail is the rail on the top front half of a grand holding
> the lock and also the rail in front of the keys on an upright.

Less practical, because both indeed usually contain a lock.

> "Stretchers" on a grand piano are the wooden rails that connect twin
> legs to the lyre on pianos fashionable in the early 20th century.
> Otherwise stretcher is a term from the boat-building trade.
>
> JD

Thanks for the trouble.

friendly greetings
from