Decapping bridges with a router

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 3 13:26:00 MDT 2008

I suppose you would, tho you perhaps are just as likely to find some
variances in height of the root itself as well.   I would think tho that
if the most significant variations in bridge height are due to
differences of cap thickness it was because of shaving the cap after the
bridge assembly was glued to the panel. Routing off to fairly closely
match the joint line just puts you back in that original state then when
you glue on a new uniform thickness cap yes ? A Marking Gauge can easily
be used to mark a given distance up from the panel as it can down from
the bridge surface....so whatever situation you are looking at can be
dealt with.

Cheers
RicB

        I find that variations in bridge height almost always come about
        as function
        of differences in thickness of the cap, not the root.

        David Love
        davidlovepianos at comcast.net
        www.davidlovepianos.com

    Grin... now thats what I call a dream !  How long ago did you take that
    Del, and out of curiosity.... what do you do about handling the point
    raised earlier about dealing with the variant heights of the original
    bridge ?

    RicB

            See the attached.

            ddf