Doweled and Fully Fit Pinblocks

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Aug 3 16:36:14 MDT 2008

Ah, Fenton there is a good way to do this and get it very snug without
munging up the sides of the case.   Fully fit the pinblock as you would in
your usual fashion for fit to the stretcher and treble end.  I then cut the
bass end short by about ½ inch  (the exact amount doesn’t really matter).
Set the block in the piano and butt it up against the treble end and
stretcher.  Measure the gap to the bass end rim.  Cut a fill piece of
pinblock stock to that measure, but with a 1 degree taper, so that it is
narrower at the bottom than the top.  Do a partial dry fit (you need to be
able to get it out again).  Sometimes I need to feather it down on my table
belt sander until it is just right.  When you are ready to glue the block
in, butter it with glue and tap it in place.  It should seat on the ledge
and look like it belongs there.  Voila, your fully fitted block and intact
case sides.

I would love  to take credit for this to prove how smart I am, but it is a
trick that I learned from Chris Robinson years ago.  I fully fit any block
that the case and plate allow, and this has long been my practice.

Will Truitt