Doweled and Fully Fit Pinblocks

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:30:26 MDT 2008

Fenton, The pinblock jack option is a great idea.  I dig brotha.I still side with David Hughes on the blind dowels. If the joint is a nice clean fit, you're going to have adequate coupling between stretcher and block. But then again, how many techs does it take to install a new Stnwy block?  20.  1 to install it and 19 to tell him/her what they're doing wrong. Can we back up a step?  How are y'all removing your original blocks?  I've seen 3 styles of Stnwy stretchers. On the ones with an angle on the outer face and perpendicular on the inner face, we had an angled piece of spruce we would we would tape to the front of the stretcher in to run the router along (with the Bolduc cutter). This results in a perpendicular cut at the block joint.
                Michael Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com