Doweled and Fully Fit Pinblocks

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sun Aug 3 22:11:38 MDT 2008

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm all over this spirit removal system from John Delacour. As for now I use the Bolduc cutter, I leave on 1/8" or so, so I don't need to worry about the angle, I do like your idea of an angle build up on the stretcher to duplicate the cut on back. I always leave a little extra and then spend a little more time working with an off set router and hand tools finishing with an iron and wet rags to loosen the last 32nd or so. There is usually some mahogany veneer damage which I either repair with a filler or completely remove depending on the extent of damage.
Now back to blind dowels, and I also agree it is probably way over kill, not that that will stop me. I can't prove it but I've got to believe that the dowels add way more strength to this joint than the small percentage of glue area that is gained as David Hughes pointed out. This is moot if the joint is strong enough as is. I need an engineer, NICK!
Fenton