Decapping the bridge

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Mon Aug 4 04:22:15 MDT 2008

To answer my own question about plugging holes, one more supplier for fill
dowels is Pianotek.  They sell a box of thin rounded dowels several inches
long that are somewhere in the .080's in diameter (I think, I am at home and
the box is in my shop at the Mill building).  I bought them a few months ago
after I noticed them in the catalog.  This last piano I used them on.
Drilled out the top treble sections in the root because they were too big
there before inserting them after dipping in glue; they fit just about right
in the tenor section, and used shoe pegs in the bass because the holes were
too big for them.  Where usable, I preferred them over the shoe pegs because
they filled the holes completely to depth, and seem to be made of a harder
wood than the shoe peg material.

They are in the catalog.  I can measure the diameter today and find the page
in the catalog.

Will Truitt