MH BB Pinblock - 70's - to full fit or not to fit

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 4 04:24:53 MDT 2008

David Love wrote:

>>So I'm pulling apart this MH BB ( 1970's) and when the plate comes out the
pin block, which I bumped ever so slightly, falls onto the key bed.  Not
secured to the stretcher or the rim--piano sounds pretty good too.  So much
for the "circle of sound".  But I'm thinking, should I make this replacement
block a full fit block or not.  Arguments for and why bother?

Thanks.

David Love
 <https://www.moypiano.com/resources/#archives> davidlovepianos at
comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

David~

I also faced this decision when rebuilding a 70's vintage Mason & Hamlin BB
(whether to rebuild with full fit pinblock). I talked to a couple of really
well-respected rebuilders/consultants/engineers in the piano industry before
attempting it.

One said he had rebuilt that model piano with full fit pinblock and felt it
had improved the piano significantly. (He also reduced the severe string
downdraft angle).

The other said I should not do a full fit pinblock on this model Mason
because the rim structure and particularly, the cheek construction were not
the same as the full fit Masons of earlier years, that essentially on the
70's vintage models (Aeolian) the cheeks/ledges were not continuous in the
same way with the rim, and were also a softer hardwood (poplar or mahogany,
I believe, was being used in the rim and cheeks/rim arms, whatever you call
them, of Aeolian BB's of that era.) He basically felt they would not support
the full fit construction, and had some compelling reasons for why there
might be serious problems if I attempted it. Apparently there were other
reasons for not doing full fit in that design besides just saving time,
because according to him the rim had been weakened to save
money/time/materials as well. I ultimately opted to follow the advice of the
latter, and not do full fit, because he happened to be an engineer/scale
designer working for Mason and Hamlin at the time, who was familiar with the
differences between the 70's and earlier models, and knew personally the
design history and issues, and seemed very knowledgeable about all aspects
of the different designs, including the history of the plate castings and
when they were changed and why, etc. etc.

If you want to contact me back personally I can give you his name and
contact info, (as well as the name of the person who said it was okay! )

Then you can decide who you trust more!

Hope this helps.

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders