Decapping the bridge

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 07:57:15 MDT 2008

At 19:40 -0700 3/8/08, Fenton Murray wrote:

>Me neither. Too big and area and not enough time for me. Besides, I
>think you will begin to need a hot room for belly work with hot
>glue. Does anyone do this with hot hide.

You don't need a hot room, just warm parts.  For a bridge cap I keep
the capping clamped against a 6 ft. long oil-filled radiator and let
it warm through.  Before brushing the glue onto the bridge stem I'll
pass  a hot iron along it a few times just for good measure.  You
then have plenty of time to work unless you use very slow clamping
methods.  There's nothing like go-bars or wedges for speed.

JD