REcapping the bridge

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Aug 4 11:51:22 MDT 2008

> To continue this superb thread on bridge work where the bridge remains
> on the panel, and the panel remains inside the rim:  what are our
> esteemed readers preferred methods for gluing on the new cap?
>

> Will Truitt

I've used gobars and I've used cauls with #12 wood screws clearance drilled
through the cauls and cap and threaded into the root. See attached photos.
The subsequent holes left in the bridge are pluged with hammer shanks. Since
there will be planing down of the cap coming up, the pluged hole is finished
off at the same time. The dowel ends become a sort of humidity gauge for the
piano as the cap moves with the seasons. A design feature which may or may
not be appreciated. But still, I don't have a problem with it in some
situations, my shop is small, it's hard to set up the gobar system, you need
to carefully locate the dowel in the unison fields although you can notch
and drill right through them.
Fenton