More pinblock stuff

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 19:44:24 MDT 2008

Another aspect of the pinblock discussion we haven't touched on (since we
seem to be covering most everything else) is the method of duplicating the
contour of the plate flange side of the block. Steinway blocks are
relatively easy and I do it simply by double sticking the old block to the
new one, matching the flange angle with the adjust table on my band saw and
rough cutting the overall outline, have at it with a power planer, grinder
and sander and use epoxy with high density filler for the final fit.  Easy
on a S&S S,M,L, O, A, not as easy on a B where the bass/tenor transition is
curved  Anyway, I'd be curious to know how others do it-especially that
bass/tenor transition area-that is, short of having one of those super duper
fancy contour duplicating machines.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com