"Downer" piano

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 00:07:48 MDT 2008

Hi, David:
    If the lag bolts tore out large holes in the shelf, I'd try to see if you could order another shelf.  It may simply be screwed on.   If you could get it off, you may be able to inlay another block of wood into the broken-out hole.  If just the threads on the lag bolts are stripped out, Wood Rebuilder could be used to fill the holes.  Spray mold release on the threads of the bolts (for later removal) and assemble the legs while the Rebuilder is still curing.  You will end up with perfectly molded screw holes.   You could get some hardwood plugs and epoxy them in.  Then redrill.  If there is a machine thread, there must be an anchor to accept the bolt.  That would mean a new anchor would have to be obtained and attached to the shelf.  Hard to conceptualize without photos of the damage and more detailed description of the hardware.
    Then, sell them a stage truck.  I just happened to have one that's taking up room in my shop that I think would fit.  It's in very good condition, and I'd let it go for a good price.  Contact me if you're interested.
    Good luck.

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego, CA

Paul McCloud