/steinway B

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Aug 5 04:07:22 MDT 2008

Hi Les,

I'd plug and redrill so as to use single layer felt. I'd also have a
good look at how close the whole set is to developing the same symptom.
Could be a great way to gain some experience in doing this kind of
thing. Even just replacing the entire bass guide rail would be good
experience.

That said... a simple plug for one guide hole is pretty easy to manage
without dismantling too much.

Cheers
RicB

    I have a customer with a B. (Nice to know isn't it...........) The
    first damper after the first break is constantly clacking. I managed
    a temporary fix which lasted about six months, but it's back to
    noise making.  I'm of limited experience with such things, don't
    have any double-layered felt, and would appreciate means by which
    others have
    solved this little problem. thanks much
    les bartlett