Looking the gift horse in the mouth

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Aug 5 12:19:51 MDT 2008

Listers,

Colleges and churches get the interesting gifts, don't they?

We just received a 1943 vintage neo-natal Chickering 5'0" (125 cast in
plate), Art Deco case in walnut. Cute little thing.

Not tuned in years, but at pitch. Hammers well truncated, but knuckles
still in good shape.

It looks like it will be usable with just new hammers (soon to be on
order), and regulation/voicing.  Herein lies the question of this post.
Is there an easy way/trick to get at the capstans to regulate the hammer
line? There is no direct line of sight to the capstans when key is at
rest and barely visible when key is depressed.

Obviously my first encounter with this configuration and not wanting to
be too depressed whilst regulating it...

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!