No- shows..... again + digressions

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Tue Aug 5 17:14:18 MDT 2008

For appointments made over a week in advance, or for longer distance
appointments, I call to confirm ahead of time. This tends to prevent
most no-shows from happening in the first place.

In the "Services Performed" section of my invoice form, I have a line
for "Failed Appointment Service Charge" for no-shows or no-access.
Depending on the circumstances, I may choose not to bill the customer,
but I will make sure they understand my policy is to charge a nominal
fee for no-shows, so they know for next time.

It costs money to drive to an appointment and back, but more
importantly, we lose the opportunity to earn money during that time slot
when we are stood up. Many professional services charge for no-shows,
even if they don't have to travel to the customer's location. My opinion
is that piano technicians deserve the same courtesy and respect.

I had one rather bad experience, involving a maid that made me wait 25
minutes before letting me in to tune.  It didn't get much better after
that, and I felt like I was treated rather poorly throughout the whole
job. I did charge for the 25 minutes at my hourly rate, and they paid
the invoice without questioning it. I did not expect (or want) to deal
with this client ever again, and I assumed they would not be calling me
again, anyway. Oddly enough, this client recommended my services to a
friend, and this friend turned out to be a wonderful client. In
hindsight, I think the first client was just having a really bad day,
and probably was not intending to make things so unpleasant for me - I
was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.