Cut off bars and resonant frequency

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 10:41:33 MDT 2008

At 08:49 -0700 6/8/08, David Love wrote:

>When adding a fairly large cutoff bar is there any inherent danger of
>raising the resonant frequency of the panel and thereby altering the balance
>of partial development and strength (making the upper partials in the tenor
>and bass section louder, for example), or am I misunderstanding the role and
>consequence of a panel's resonant frequency?

I don't think the natural frequency of the board, used as a drum, has
anything to do with it.  The sounds we hear from the board are forced
frequencies.  Usually, in my experience, the resonant frequency of
the board doesn't cause a problem, but I think it can.  For example I
recently came across a new Wendl and Lung upright which seemed to
resonate in a very noticeable way. Perhaps other can say whether the
_absence_ of a deafened section might make such problems more likely?

JD