/steinway B - awaiting response from Les, at least

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Aug 7 05:54:37 MDT 2008

At 04:09 PM 8/6/2008, RicB wrote:
>Grin... I for one have assumed Les was telling us exactly what the
>problem was from the beginning. Seems to me he has qualified exactly
>that on a couple occasions afterwards so I shouldnt expect there
>would be any additional info forthcoming.  Re doing an entire rail
>is hardly remanufacturing the piano... tho to be sure a bit more
>involved then a single plug and drill.  On the other hand again...
>its good experience and worth the effort IMB.

Ric, list
I was going to respond off list, but, in the end, that felt like a
cope out.  In all seriousness, I've looked at every one of Les' posts
and, while he speculates about the wear of the bushing being related
to the offset nature of that damper, he NEVER actually states what
the noise source is.  But even assuming it's the damper head
contacting the plate, why would you (and others) think it appropriate
to have to remake an entire rail for what he described, however
valuable the experience?  If he can get the customer to pay for it,
perhaps that's a different story.  But that won't help him the next
time he's faced with this problem.  As far as such a project not
qualifying as remanufacturing, I'll continue to refrain, as long as
possible, from using emoticons.  Of course I was being dramatic,
facetious, ironic, whatever.  If you'll humor me, just a little: what
is the consensus understanding of the source of the noise, and what
must he do to fix that ONE note?  Is everyone saying that it is
impossible to rebush a double bushed guide rail hole?

Meanwhile, Les, I'll repost the questions I previously asked, minus the levity:

>   What vintage B?  What was your temporary solution?  Even if your
> assessment of bushing cloth wear is accurate, what is source of the
> clacking?  Wire against glue, or damper block against plate?  Did
> you extract the bushing cloth to determine extent and direction of wear?

Just seeking clarity or confirmation of my insanity.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY