/steinway B - awaiting response from Les, at least

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Aug 7 10:15:45 MDT 2008

Hi David S.

I think if you look a bit closer to replies Les made to a couple posts,
including at least one of mine, he states that it is one damper that is
clacking and that it is because the bushing is not able to do its job.

For my part, I have recommended a simple single plug and drill if all
else is indeed well enough. Tho I have acknowledged the value of
experience in replacing the whole rail. Doing a whole rail in this case
can easily also be defended from the standpoint that it is an older
double bushing cloth guide rail and  these seem to often develop bushing
related problems anyways. A reference to Ken Sloane and Oberlin was made
through the chain of posts... that is because at the Oberlin institute
they take advantage of the opportunity both teach this rather simple
procedure whilst at the same time upgrading older Steinways a bit.

I think also Les pretty clearly states he has ruled out regulation and
other problems as the source of the problem.

http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-August/225802.html
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-August/225812.html
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-August/225874.html

Proper regulation of the wire is of course a prerequisite, tho I don't
see any conflict in issues there if he should decide to re-do a whole
rail.  Hope this helps your itch at least a little a bit :-)  I know
I've had my head scratching left unrequited on more then a single
occasion tho... so I know how that feels. Me thinks you are just as
insane as the rest of us friend David ! Don't worry... be happy !

Cheers
RicB