Fickle pianists was : Action weights and "concert pianist" advice

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Aug 7 14:04:44 MDT 2008

Reading JD's last post I am amusingly reminded of an incident here just
a couple days ago.  A pianist who plays regular at a close by concert
venue called me to chit chat a bit and during our conversation she
commented that the piano at the location was a bit muffy. Its a nice big
grand of newer date. So I was in early a couple days later to go over
the tuning and had pulled the action to check hammer mating but hadnt
really done a thing as she walked in to do a bit of warming up. She
smiled at the thought I'd taken her words to heart evidently and I said
I hadn't done more then a few small adjustments.

Now the piano was / is not muffy at all.  Its just that there is another
pianist there that wants as much ping as you can get and little else and
they perhaps have been discussing the matter. She sat down with the fall
board removed and played the opening to a high energy piece... and the
eyes get real big and happy... and the oohs and ahhs.. and here has
happened things start to emerge...

Thing was... the only thing I'd actually done was remove the fall board
and check 3 hammers for good mating...

Perceptions.... if pianists only had a clue of these random mechanisms
they let work against them all the time...

Cheers
RicB