Fickle pianists was : Action weights and "concert pianist" advice

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Aug 8 11:21:47 MDT 2008

Grin... I second the hold on bit... I hadn't intended the Fickle
pianists thing to unwarranted turn into (immediately like) another one
of those anti you-know-who threads.
There is no doubt a bit of the Fickle pianist syndrome in just about
everything do to pianowise to be sure... but to what degree S&S deserves
the rap seemingly insinuated or not is another discussion entirely.
I've read just about everyones hype and <<they>> are no more guilty then
other... less then quite a few actually. Uncomfortable truths.

Like it or not pals... S&S and their <<sound>> have hit upon that
complex combination of many <<somethings>> INCLUDING a damned good
instrument that has given them a market share so astounding in all human
history its simply impossible to brush off with this or thats.

That said... pianists remain quite fickle... and their fickleness indeed
does touch deep enough into the whole piano sound thingy.

Cheers
RicB

    Now hold on Terry. While I would agree that I haven't seen a new
    Steinway that has come from the factory that isn't in need of a
    regulating and voicing, I would like to address the differences from
    piano to piano in the past.