Fickle pianists was : Action weights and "concert pianist" advice

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 06:52:00 MDT 2008

Now hold on Terry. While I would agree that I haven't seen a new Steinway
that has come from the factory that isn't in need of a regulating and
voicing, I would like to address the differences from piano to piano in the
past.

I worked as a tone regulator and inspector for Steinway during the 60's and
early 70's. We were never asked to made a specific tone, but rather to find
the best tone range in the piano. We were told that everyone had different
expectations of what a Steinway should sound like and when they were
purchasing one they would have the opportunity to select the tone that
suited their playing style. Yes, it was a mindset at the factory not to
produce a cookie cutter piano. Unfortunately they have too far and anything
goes.

Al Guecia

From: "Farrell"