Touch design for concert pianists

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Aug 7 14:14:45 MDT 2008

Hi all.

Thanks for valuable insights so far.

It is my understanding that the motto behind this touch weight issue is that
a serious professional pianist should play at home on some "heavier" action
than anything he is likely to encounter in concert situation, to avoid the
premature fatigue at half the program.
I can understand this.
Also, I totally agree on the sad fact that pianists don't have a clue of
what is happening.  They just repeat what their teachers said.  This is
curious, as oboe players all can change and shape their reeds themselves,
and all guitar players can all pertinently choose and change their strings,
etc.  but pianists don't want to know anything about their instrument : they
just want a good technician do it for them, that is, a technician authorized
by their own teacher, who thought the same way.
Too often I realized than my (ok this is relative, but then) enlightened
advise is of no value compared to what any pianist with a curriculum might
say.  Also, people, especially people who don't know about it, tend to trust
the authorized guy, not the enlightened one.
Yet, I want to stay open to what they feel.  I'm just trying to put to
myself the right limits beyond whose problems will occur.
Alas, up till now, I never succeeded to make any client understand that
piano health is not about temperature, but about humidity level swings over
time.  Not any of them.  Any.  So about touch weight, I'm quite hopeless.

Bah...

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.