keytop planer

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 19:37:30 MDT 2008

There is a Wagner Saf-T-Planer that is used in a drill press.  The cutting
blades are recessed under a spinning disc, so there's little chance of
injury while using it.  I've used one for years, but now send my keytops
out.  Sharpening the blades is easy with a supplied grinding stone (fits in
drill press).  A special jig using a vise is used to plane off a small
amount, only as needed (not the whole key!), so the plastic replacement is
inlaid nicely (use some care to do it right).  Cutting depth is set from
the drill press table and quill.  Obviously, you need some other device to
remove the fronts.  Very inexpensive, I think about $35.00 or so.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

Paul McCloud
Service Technician for PianoSD.com