Building a Rib Crowned Concert Grand Soundboard, Etc.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 18:51:02 MDT 2008

I'm in the midst of an interesting project in my shop. I've made similar posts in the past and they seemed to generate interest, so here goes again!

I'm building a complete ribbed rib-crowned and supported soundboard for an S&S D for a client. I will also be building a complete set of new vertically laminated bridges and laminated bridge caps for it. I started about a week ago with building the panel.

Picture below is of panel boards planed to about 10 mm and laid out as the panel will be built.

First I hand plane the edge joints and then glue up subpanels that are up to 20 inches wide (I have a 20-inch planer). The final thickness for this panel will be 9 mm, so I run the subpanels through the planer to a 9 mm thickness. The picture below shows the subpanels being edge glued together. The wooden boards with the holes in them are my panel clamps.

After glue-up, I clean up the subpanel joints with a hand plane (a smoothing plane that removes just wispers of wood) and cut to shape based on the original panel.

That's all for now - more later.....

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com