/steinway B - awaiting response from Les, at least

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Aug 8 05:19:06 MDT 2008

Hey Les -
  Now we're getting somewhere.  Cowardice redefines
everything.  Let's call it a healthy respect.  While many people have
suggested how do-able remaking of the guide rail would be, I would
want a much more detailed operations list before actually setting out
to do so.  And after all that, you would still have to confront what
Jon Page described in his last post - that damper can be a real pain,
even with no other compromising conditions.  But here's what you
haven't clearly explained:
- What is producing the noise?  Is the head contacting the plate?  Is
the temporary bushing getting hard?  Is it something else?
- What was your 'cheap fix'? If you've already described it
elsewhere, my apologies.  I haven't seen it.
- Are you comfortable controlling the bends on a 'normal' damper?  If
not, that's where practice would help, not remaking a rail.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY