Touch design for concert pianists

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Fri Aug 8 10:38:26 MDT 2008

Hi Stéphane,

What are the upweights?   A common cause of
feeling a lack of connection is low friction.
Applying the formula (D-U)/2  will tell you how
much of the down weight is to overcome friction
to start the key moving.   In the middle of the
keyboard a 12 gram friction weight would be
considered normal.   So it would be interesting
to see if, for instance, your frictions are say
below 10g.  Then you might consider checking your
center pin frictions to see if they are low.  In
which case repinning to increase friction could
be a solution.   Repinning would up the down
weight so you could add a little additional
keyweighting to keep your down weights on spec.
I would do one thing at a time then assess the
effects on your clients feelings of each change
you make.

Hope this helps.

David Stanwood