Yamaha CF appraisal

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Fri Aug 8 11:27:45 MDT 2008

Hello list,

I'm often asked to appraise living room pianos and have no trouble with all of
that.  Now, for the first time, I've been asked to appraise (for retail value)
a concert piano, a 1979 Yamaha CF.  I thought it prudent on my part to get a
few thumbnail estimates from youse guys.

Herewith are, it is hoped, some succinct details:
CASE:  very good, considering its age.  No chips except on pedal lyre where
the rods enter.  Has a cover which is meticulously kept clean itself.

SOUNDBOARD:  No major cracks, one repaired minor crack.  No rib separation.
 Two very small cracks beginning.  BTW, it has a dual reservoir DC, always
plugged in.

BRIDGES:  Excellent.

PINBLOCK:  Good.  Some jumpy pins, but not excessively so.

ACTION: Good, though inconsistent and not worthy of being labeled "concert
prepped"  (they don't budget for that!  I'm not the tech they use, but I know
the guy who is, and basically all he ever does is tune it twice for each
concert)

HAMMERS: Very good.  Bright, but it IS a concert instrument, right?

STRINGS:  Excellent, though there is a little "buzzy-ness" to D2.

DAMPERS:  Very Good.

PEDALS: Excellent

TONE:  Bright but consistent.

STATE OF TUNE:  10 cents flat.  This is a cause of concern, I'd think.  What
with the DC and being tuned 30 or more times per year, I wonder WHY it would
go so flat?

Comes with a matching adjustable artist's bench.

I know my region of the world (Montana) depresses pianos' values somewhat, but
anybody who has experience in selling similar instruments who could just take
a minute to give a ballpark guess would have my appreciation.

I'll also being calling the Missoula, MT Yamaha dealer, who is a friend, to
get his input.

Thanks in advance,

John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT