Customer Complaint on Tuning

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Fri Aug 8 18:59:48 MDT 2008

I agree with all comments here!

  I had a lady (not nearly as old as your examples) who called me back saying several octaves in the bass did not match.  I got there, wiggled the pins, said "does that sound better?" as I was doing it, she said "yes it does!", and viola!  The pitch was in the exact same place when I was thru!  I just raised the pitch, and lowered it back to where it was, done!

  But, the key was I had her agree with me on the spot that it sounded better.

Matthew

Will Truitt <surfdog at metrocast.net> wrote:
                To our poor suffering brother Terry, Ron, and others (including me) who have known this terrible fate.  Might I add a small tale of my own that may shed some light?

  I have a customer in her early 80’s whose Knabe grand action I rebuilt about 3 years ago.  When I go to tune the piano (which I do every six months), she is always asking me to voice down the treble.  She says the middle and the bass are just fine, but (and she’ll go over the piano, bang some notes “Hear that, it’s way too bright, it’s awful”).  Well, I’ve voiced the dickens out of top 3 octaves of that piano, it’s like milquetoast to my ears.  The rest of the piano is much brighter, and I’ve voiced this piano enough to feel like I’ve taken too much away;  BUT it’s still too bright to her.  She’s a really sweet lady, and her hearing is not perfect but certainly not at the 120 db TV level yet.

  We’ve been doing this for a while.  She still likes me and I like her.  But I am thinking to myself, what’s going on here?  So I approached Laura, who is an audiologist and a good friend (we have been teaching skiing at the same mountain in New Hampshire for a number of years) and asked her what might be going on with my customer’s hearing.  She explained to me that there is a condition that some older people can develop where they develop a hypersensitivity to higher frequencies that actually can cause them discomfort when hearing those higher frequencies.   She told me the name of the condition but I have forgotten it since it was last winter when I asked her (sorry).

  The person isn’t really aware that they have this condition – they are aware of the symptoms, which cause them discomfort.  Which, of course, makes it hard for them to understand why you are having such a blasé reaction to all this, when (to their mind) it’s so obvious that any fool can hear it.

  Basically, it’s a situation you cannot win.  She doesn’t want to hear “It’s you, Lady!”

  So, yeh Terry, you got it right.  Smile, wiggle a few tuning pins, and say: "Oh, yeah, that should sound better now...?"

  Will