Tuning Pin and Coil Cleaner

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Aug 7 19:42:25 MDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Matthew Todd <HYPERLINK
"mailto:toddpianoworks at att.net"toddpianoworks at att.net> wrote:

Have any of you used the tuning pin and coil cleaner from Schaff?  I was
just wondering if it was any good.  If it produces good results without
scratching the pins.

David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

There are better ways to spend your customers money on a piano.

David Ilvedson, RPT

Such as?

How about adjusting lost motion, quieting squeaky –thumpy pedals, cleaning
keytops, ---the list of “better” repairs than cleaning tuning pins is a long
one.

Today for example I tuned a 20 year old K and C. ( Samick) grand and needed
to pull the action to free a few tight action centers. While it was out I
lubed the creaky knuckles with Teflon powder. No big deal but a good example
of David’s point.

The piano (along with the client) will tell you what to focus on.

Best wishes

Tom Driscoll

Checked by AVG.
5:54 AM